London ball

Cray Wanderers 1 – 2 Borough of Haringey

Cray Wanderers’ hopes of creating a respite above the Isthmian Premier relegation spots were shattered as Haringey Borough came from behind to win at Hayes Lane and bolster their own hopes of survival.

The Wands, unbeaten in their last four home games, got off to a flying start as Jamie Yila netted his 11th goal of the season after finishing well on Freddy Barton’s pass. Cray was unable to capitalize on that start, however, and Haringey came back into the game in the 27th minute when Alfred Bawling’s right wing cross was returned by Andronicos Georgiou. Seven minutes later, Haringey swung past when Michael O’Donoghue on the left latched on to Georgios Aresti’s terrific pass and pressed a shot past Joe Wright and into the net. Despite some late pressure from Cray, Haringey defended vigorously and held on to claim all three points.

On a night with a bit of tension in the air, Cray got off to a great start and after some good early passes took the lead in the 3rd minute. The excellent Freddy Barton picked up the ball in midfield, moved forward and played a fine ball to Jamie Yila who burst into the center of the box and flicked the ball past Marigliani and into the net.

Despite the first goal, Cray couldn’t really build on that strong start and Haringey was able to get into the game and the game got a bit scrappy for a phase. Both teams won a corner each, but it was Cray who shaped the next big chance when Yila turned provider when he played Sam Wood down the left and his shot was knocked down for a corner by Marigliani.

Haringey showed his threat when Michael O’Donoghue sent a right pass to David Olufemi who in turn found Djassi-Sambu who, in time, fired wide past the left post.

In the 25th minute, Cray almost doubled their advantage when a ball was played over for Narcis-Florin Filip who, on the left of the box, was unlucky to have his shot well blocked by Marigliani just outside. inside the surface.

Two minutes later Haringey equalized and was created and taken well as the ball was worked on from Alfred Bawling’s right and his cross was shot from 10 yards out by Georgiou and it was just starting to look like a restless evening.

Cray looked to restore the lead when Wood on the left set up Cameron Brodie who fired wide from the right post from 12 yards out.

In the 34th minute the game was turned upside down when Haringey took the lead when Georgios Aresti played an exquisite ball over Michael O’Donoghue at the edge of the penalty area and he fired past Joe Wright who may have gotten a touch the ball but couldn’t keep it outside and in the bottom right corner.

Shortly after, from a free kick on the left of the area, David Olufemi curled the ball over the wall and was claimed by Wright while for Cray Anthony Cook found Kasim Aidoo on the left and his ball was met by Dickson’s header but Marigliani was able to muster on his line.

Before half-time, Yila in the bottom right saw his cross at the far post find Wood but couldn’t get a firm enough connection with the ball and went behind.

Two minutes later it could have been 3-1 when Aresti set up Georgiou for a shot that was deflected for a corner.

Cray won a corner down the right and Haringey nearly escaped it as Bawling, who had a good game down the right, sped up and set up Georgiou for a shot just inside the area which was well held by Wright.

Cray’s efforts to get back there were thwarted by perhaps the final ball or Borough’s solid defense and continued to threaten at the break and Georgiou’s cross for Aresti was pulled back for a corner then Bawling on the left saw its shot deviate from Nazir Bakrin. and up to Wright.

For Cray, in the 65th minute, Barton’s corner from the left at the far post was headed away by Chris Dickson. Then four minutes later Dickson was found by Barton on the right, took the ball around the keeper and fed the ball to Soul Kader on his debut who fired wide from the right post.

For Haringey, Aresti fired from range before being substituted and on a free kick from O’Donoghue the ball was sent by Djassi-Sambu but claimed by Wright.

Cray still wasn’t getting much joy near goal and Brodie found Barton who found Dickson who set up Kader but was denied by a fine block from Charne Lemba. Then another cross from Barton found Wood whose volley was blocked.

From a free-kick to the left edge of the box, Barton’s ball towards goal was sent over the bar by Marigilani, then with eight minutes remaining, Jacob Munting’s ball into the box was headed by Dickson.

The final minutes saw the form of the game disappear and for Haringey on the right, Olufemi saw a near-post effort blocked behind by Wright while for Cray Denzel Williams the ball in front of the right saw a header from Dickson blocked by Marigliani at the far post. .

The final action of the match saw another corner from Barton on the right coming to Wood who curled the ball towards goal and clipped the top of the crossbar and above and for Haringey Olufemi set up Sami Bessadi for a shot which went wide.

Despite the late rally, Haringey held on for victory with Cray remaining on 29 points in 19th place and will travel to Bognor Regis Town on Saturday.

Cray Wanderers: Joe Wright, Freddie Barton, Nazir Bakrin, Denzel Williams, Kasim Aidoo, Cameron Brodie, Anthony Cook (Capt.) (Jacob Munting, 78), Sam Wood, Jamie Yila, Chris Dickson, Narcis-Florin Filip (Soul Kader : 62): Subs: Luca Albon, Richie Danquah, Tom Hanfrey: Att 209