London ball

Cray Wanderers 1 Leyton Orient 0 – London Senior Cup 1st Round – November 2, Match Report

Cray Wanderers v Leyton Orient – Match Report

London Senior Cup – Round 1 – Wednesday November 2

Cray Wanderers 1

Ademiluyi 69

Leyton East 0

Cray Wanderers returned to the London Senior Cup after an eight-year absence and progressed to a 2nd round tie with Dulwich Hamlet following victory against Leyton Orient in a very soggy Hayes Lane.

In a game played in constant rain after a rather wary first half, the match opened up after the break and the decisive moment came in the 69th minute when Michael Ademiluyi leaped over an overhand ball and threw the ball at Sam Sargent just outside. the area and took forever to appear to fall into the net with the defender on the line unable to clear.

Neil Smith’s Wands side had a weekend of league football and were able to recall Freddie Carter to the side, but just for half time and named new signing Yahaya Bamba from Sevenoaks Town on the bench, but was essentially a team in its own right.

Richie Wellen’s Leyton Orient side started superbly in the EFL League Two, top of the league and although mostly a young night side had a few players with first-team experience.

With the pouring rain, it was no surprise that the game took a little while to settle. An early corner each which required clearing the area and a shot from Jayden Wareham of Leyton Orient which was blocked by Mitch Chapman were the only real moments of concern in the first twenty minutes as Leyton Orient may have just taken possession .

Cray started to enter the game around the 25th minute and Michael Ademiluyi on the right of the box burst into the box but his cross shot at the near post was claimed by Sam Sargeant. Then Harrison Sodje and Nyren Clunis combined to set up Mitch Chapman for a shot that was blocked by Shadrach Ogie.

At the other end Wareham found space to shoot from 20 yards which went over the bar and then from a corner Shaun Rowley had a touch to send the ball behind for another corner from which the ball came to Stephen Duke-McKenna in the lower left. and his cross shot went wide of the right post.

There was half a chance for Leyton Orient when Daniel Nkrumah forced his way into the bottom right area but was denied a shot chance by a fine tackle from Freddie Carter.

The best opener of the half came in the 36th minute when Sam Skeffington found Ben Krauhaus on the right who dug into the box and looked to place his shot but just lacked enough power and Sargeant got in. set to save.

Before half-time, a Kellen Fisher cross found Dan Bassett whose header was blocked but real chances were scarce in the first half and was scoreless at the break.

H/T: 0-0

At half-time Carter was replaced by Jalen Jones and the second half opened with more goal and Skeffington went close with a shot from 25 yards that went just over the bar.

Leyton Orient created their best chance of the game in the 55th minute when Jordan Brown’s ball found Charlie Kelman who went past Jones’ challenge and from the left of the area shot over the bar.

Then Brown found Duke-McKenna on the left of the area and his effort swooped Rowley’s hands and behind for a corner. From the corner the ball came to Brown in the lower right and his ball was sent towards goal by Nkrumah but Rowley leaned in well to save.

The game then went through a calm phase before the deadlock was broken in the 69th minute when a ball played from the right caught the Orient defense and Michael Ademiluyi latched onto the ball and deftly kicked the ball over Sargeant and the ball fell excruciatingly slowly into the net before a defender could clear the ball.

The Wands who then introduced Yahaya Bamba and Nyren Clunis into the fray moved a second closer when Skeffington found space for a shot from outside the box which Sargeant did well to flip over the top. bar.

In the final minutes, both goalkeepers made good saves with Leyton Orient closing in. Charlie Pegrum put Antonio Clements down the left and Rowley did well to return the ball for a corner.

Then a moment later Bamba who scored against Cray in pre-season for Sevenoaks cut inside from the left and fired a good save from Sargeant who turned the ball away.

For Cray, a Nyren Clunis corner from the left at the far post for Jalen Jones was cleared for another corner.

Then Clunis nearly got on the scoresheet when he exchanged passes with Anthony Cook whose pass seemed to bounce into the path of Clunis who flew just over the bar.

In the end, Cray had done enough to win and showed a lot of quality in the second half especially and deserved to win the match and gave an all action performance. Defensively it was another clean sheet, the second in three games and managed to keep a spirited Eastern side at bay for most of the game and limit them to just a handful of openings.

Cray earned their first London Senior Cup draw since winning Tower Hamlets in October 2014 and staged a riveting clash at Dulwich Hamlet in the 2nd round.

The Wand will now come into a game against 4th-placed Aveley on Saturday and will be a good test against a confident side, but Cray too can come into the game with confidence after four games unbeaten in the league and should be a great game.

Cray Wanderers: Shaun Rowley, Kellen Fisher, Freddie Carter (Jalen Jones, H/T), Sinn’kaye Christie, Mitch Chapman, Sam Skeffington, Ben Krauhaus (Anthony Cook, 77), Michael Ademiluyi, Dan Bassett (Yahaya Bamba, 71), Tom Derry (Nyren Clunis, 71):

Substitute: Cerny Ando

Leyton East: Sam Sargeant, Connor Wood, Heddwyn Ogbebor, Jordan Brown (Charlie Pegrum, 72), Shadrach Ogie, Jayden Sweeney, Stephen Duke-McKenna (Thomas Avgoustidis, 60), Daniel Nkrumah, Jayden Wareham (Makai Welch, 72), Charlie Kelman (Ebraima Davies, 72), Antonio Clements: Substitute: Lorenzo Saponara

Arbitrator: Tommy Breen

Assistants: Bogdan Khimyich, Joshua Reid

Att: 114