The need to leave the neighborhood to find the essentials and desires continue to dwindle as London offers more and more new businesses. Paula Thompson, executive director of the London Laurel County Economic Development Authority announced several new businesses, one reopening and three moves in her August update.
• The combination of Family Dollar Store and Dollar Tree will soon be the last offering in the region, with two stores of this type. The first Family Dollar/Dollar Tree will be on Keavy Road (KY 363) near Wyan-Pine Grove Elementary School. The second will be on Johnson Road near North Laurel Middle School and Bill George Road. The combined stores will provide greater convenience to customers and new customers at each store chain with their enhanced selections of seasonal, party and craft items from Dollar Tree, while also offering apparel, homeware, minor automobiles and other items offered by Family Dollar Stores. .
• Another choice in animal care is also underway. Deaton Veterinary Clinic will soon be moving into the former D&D Golf Carts building on North Laurel Road in the Pittsburg community. This clinic, operated by veterinarian Caleb Deaton, will provide services for small animals as well as boarding and emergency services. This clinic should open in early fall.
• As the popularity of food trucks continues to grow, the newest to come to London is the Frostbite Food Truck. They will serve shaved ice and cotton candy with their signature ice cream tacos and will be available for birthday parties, festivals, special events and more. Frostbite Food Truck is scheduled to open this month. Follow their Facebook page for more information.
• For birthday parties or other special events, the Palomino Wagon mobile party service can meet your needs for any occasion. If you are planning an event to serve alcohol, they will provide all other services including bartenders. Those who choose not to serve alcohol have a choice of mocktails, gourmet lemonade, and sodas. Food options can also be added. Follow their Facebook page for more details.
• A whole new side to the London area is Enchanted Relics Emporium, located on East 4th Street opposite Silver Spoon. Enchanted Relics is a metaphysical store featuring crystals, apothecary herbs, tarot cards, and oracle decks. They are open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. For more information, call 606-389-1010.
• For your mental health needs, two new companies are available. iHope Cumberland River Behavioral Health is located at 915 North Laurel Road and offers outpatient counseling, case management, screening/assessment, and early childhood intervention for people ages 15-30. In-office and telehealth services are also available, call 606-878-1190 for assistance.
The second service is Protea Behavioral Health Counseling, an outpatient clinic focused on the assessment and treatment of people aged 18 and older seeking treatment for substance use disorders. Contact them at 606 485-4003.
• Michael’s craft supply store opened on August 26 in the London Mall with a full range of crafts, carpentry and other items for the do-it-yourselfer. The London location offers buy-in-store, same-day delivery and curbside pickup. A grand opening with giveaways is planned for the near future. Contact them at 606-371-5341.
• London Smoke Tobacco Outlet opened on September 1 at its location in the former Rainbow Cleaners store at 1304 South Main Street, just down from Benqueil’s. Whether you want e-cigarettes, CBD, vaping supplies, cigars, pipe tobacco, or more, this store has a variety to suit your needs. London Smoke Tobacco Outlet is open Monday-Saturday 7am-11pm and Sunday 8am-9pm
• Fiddle and Fern opened last week inside Pearl Apparel on Short Street, behind Paperdolls and The Copper Penny. This new business venture offers indoor plants, cacti, succulents, and unique home decor with a vintage boho vibe.
A devastating fire last year led long-time London firm Larkey’s HVAC to move into temporary trailers next to their land on North Mill Street to continue providing services to their new and loyal customers. With the restoration of the old store complete, Larkey’s HVAC is now open at its former location, continuing its heating and air conditioning service for business and residential customers. They can be reached at 606 864-5146.
• Select Lab LLC at 140 East 5th Street is under new ownership by Matthew and Nicole Williams, but offers the same services as the old Select Lab plus expansion plans for pre-employment testing and random testing drug testing. Call them at 606-864-9731 to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins are also welcome.
• As more businesses and event coordinators rely on drones for live viewing, Laurel Visuals Drone and Photography Needs is here to provide the best service. A commercial photography service that also offers drones, this new company can help businesses, real estate agents, construction services, events, and organizations with professional visual needs. Contact them at 606-401-8908.
• Truck Go Heavy Duty Truck Garage is now open at 144 Seeley Road (near West KY 80) near BMP Lumber. Truck Go offers 24 hour service and in-shop repairs. Contact them at 606-657-0234.
• As winter approaches, home security to prevent fires is a necessity. FireHeart Chimney Company can help you prevent fires and ensure proper ventilation by sweeping, inspecting and repairing chimneys and the area around them. They also install wood burning stoves. They can be reached at 606-224-8124.
• Windham Hobbs Concrete & Construction is a concrete contractor and construction company to meet your construction needs such as garage, deck, patio, driveway and sidewalk. Call Mark Hobbs at 606-309-1835.
• Klashed moved to 130 North Main Street next to The Abbey restaurant. Klashed specializes in “all things beauty” and you can book an appointment by calling 606 260-5931.
• The former Klashed location at 4900 South Laurel Road is now the site of the Crimson Clover Nail Salon. This service focuses on acrylic, dip, manicure, pedicure, and henna tattoos. Call to schedule an appointment Thursday through Sunday at 606-657-7314.
• Allegra Print Signs Design has moved after 33 years to a new location at 1026 North Mill Street near Compadres. Allegra is open 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Contact them at 606-878-1423.