London celebrations

Hockey Canada Scandal: Player Statements So Far

Public scrutiny continues on Canada’s junior hockey team that won gold in 2018, eight of whose members have been charged in a civil sexual assault lawsuit at a downtown London hotel following a a summer fundraising gala for Hockey Canada here in 2018. No player is named in the $3.5 million lawsuit that was settled this spring, but several players, many of whom are now NHL stars, denied any involvement.

Content of the article

Public scrutiny continues on Canada’s junior hockey team that won gold in 2018, eight of whose members have been charged in a civil sexual assault lawsuit at a downtown London hotel following a a summer fundraising gala for Hockey Canada here in 2018. No player is named in the $3.5 million lawsuit that was settled this spring, but several players, many of whom are now NHL stars, denied any involvement. The LFP has compiled the statements, as of July 24, which have been made public via social media or traditional media:

Advertisement 2

Content of the article


Cale Makarspeaking to reporters at the Stanley Cup Finals in June (by Sportsnet): “I don’t know to what extent I can speak to this as I believe it’s an ongoing investigation, but I received an email and I will obviously be very cooperative in the investigation. No matter what they expect of me, I will be very cooperative.

Jordan Kyrou, on TwitterJuly 19: “I want to make it clear that I did not attend the Hockey Canada Gala and was not in London, Ontario at the time of the alleged incident.

thomas robert, on TwitterJuly 19: “I did not participate in or witness to the alleged incident.”

Taylor Raddych, on TwitterJuly 19: “I was in no way involved in the alleged incident and I stand ready to cooperate with any further investigation in the future.”

Advertisement 3

Content of the article

Victor Mete, on Twitter, June 30: “I was not present at the celebration of the gala event when this appalling event occurred. At the time, I had gone with my family and my friends to Jamaica.

Jonas Gadjovich, in San Jose Hockey NowMay 27: His agent, Jason Harshaw, is quoted as saying ‘Jonah was not involved in the incident and has no comment on the legal proceedings and settlement involving other parties.’

Kale, Jake Bean, Carter Hart, Toronto StarJuly 18: Their lawyer, Scott K. Fenton, is quoted by journalist Kevin McGran as saying: “None of the players you refer to have committed any wrongdoing, all players have fully cooperated with the independent investigation from the London Police Department in 2018, and all players were later cleared of any wrongdoing. Two days later, on Twitter, Clague also said, “Kale Clague, July 20, Twitter: ‘I wasn’t attending the Hockey Canada gala and I was also not in London, Ontario on the day the incident allegedly took place.

Advertisement 4

Content of the article

Conor Timmins, on TwitterJuly 18: Through his agency, Timmins released a statement that said, in part, “I was not involved in any way with the incident that gave rise to the allegations that have been reported.”

Sam Steel, at TSNJuly 19: His agent, Gerry Johannson, released a statement which read, in part, “Sam Steel has not committed any of the misconduct described in the media and, to the best of my knowledge, no one has alleged that he had done. then.”

Dante FabbroMay 30: His agent, JP Barry, told reporter Ken Campbell of Hockey Unfiltered that “Dante was in bed sleeping and was no part of it.”

Cal FooteMay 30: His agent, Kurt Overhardt, also spoke with Ken Campbelland is quoted as saying “Cal Foote was not involved in any way.”

Advertisement 5

Content of the article

Dillon Dube, Toronto StarJuly 18: His agent Dave Cowan told reporter Kevin McGran that “Dillon has committed no wrongdoing and has co-operated fully with the London Police Service’s independent investigation in 2018, through which all players were later cleared of any wrongdoing.”

Tyler Steenbergen, on TwitterJuly 21: “I was not involved in any sexual acts with the Complainant, and I had no interaction with the Complainant.”

Brett Howden, SportsnetJuly 21: His agent JP Barry released a statement in which the player said: “I had absolutely no interaction, verbal or physical, with the complainant, which I explained in detail to the Hockey investigator Canada.

Boris Katchouk, World News, July 16: His agent, Mike Liut, reportedly said the player “has fully cooperated with Hockey Canada’s investigation and will continue to provide that cooperation in any further investigation. Beyond that, we do not comment further.

Maxime Comtois, on TwitterJuly 20: “I was not involved in any way with the alleged abuse and, as far as I know, no one has ever suggested otherwise.”

Point Colton, on TwitterJuly 20: “I was in no way involved in the alleged incident and I stand ready to cooperate with any future investigation.”

Advertising

Advertisement 1

comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively yet civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments can take up to an hour to be moderated before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread you follow, or if a user follows you comments. Visit our Community Rules for more information and details on how to adjust your E-mail settings.