Welcome back, New London. Here’s all the local news, events, and community messages you need for Friday, December 24th.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
A snow shower in the morning. High: 37 Low: 27.
Here are today’s best stories in New London:
- How close are the new London area hospitals to capacity? Last: Here are the updated numbers on hospitals approaching capacity in New London County. (New London patch)
- New London Housing Market: Selling Price by Postcode: The median selling price of single-family homes has increased significantly in zip code 06320 this year, according to Redfin. (New London patch)
- New London Area Events This Weekend (New London patch)
- New London: see 5 nearby properties on the market (New London patch)
- Latest dogs, cats and pets available for adoption in the new London area (New London patch)
Today’s New London Daily is presented in part by our friends at Verizon. They are building the fastest 5G network in the country. To find out how 5G will change the lives of you and your community – and gain access to this amazing technology – Click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in New London!
- United States Coast Guard Music: “All we want for Christmas… is to find a trombone player!” Are you a trombonist? Do you know one? (Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “No plans for the holiday dinner?” Join us at the SUBBASE kitchen for a special meal from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on December 25th. Who can say no to mac and cheese and devil’s eggs? “(Facebook)
- RMMS – New London: “We had a great Spirit Week at RMMS! We wish everyone a Happy New Year! Thanks for your support and kindness always! “(Facebook)
- US Coast Guard Academy: “Here are the latest submissions for this year’s PATFORSWA Holiday Coin Challenge! Tell us which is your favorite room below!Facebook)
- College of Connecticut: Ignite Possibilities. As a student at Conn, Isis Torres-Nuñez ’20 spent two summers conducting research alongside biology professor Anna Bernhard, and together they presented their work at a conference in Germany. Today Torres-Nuñez is working … “(Facebook)
- United States Coast Guard Academy Athletics: «2021 in review 🔄 In this holiday season, back to our 2021! (Part 1/3) We wish everyone a Happy New Year ✨ #gocgabears “(Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “The Groton legal aid office will be closed December 23-24 and December 30-31.” (Facebook)
- Maritime Museum of Customs: “More good news! CT Humanities has just informed us that the CTH Board of Directors has approved $ 15,400.00 for our grant application for the CT Cultural Fund Operation Support Grant from the Custom House CCF-48122 Maritime Museum. This represents $ 15,400 in operation … “(Facebook)
- Spark Makerspace: “Happy Holidays from Spark Makerspace! This year we made over 30 scarves for those in need and collected warm coats and socks. Hope your vacation brings you joy and love.” (Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Join us January 6 at 3:00 PM for DIY Tile Coasters! We will be providing supplies for making coasters using sheet music, cards and patterned scrapbook paper. Space is limited and registration is required. To register, please visit: https: / /bit.l … “(Facebook)
- Ledge Light Health District: Please click on the link below to read a statement from Department of Public Health Commissioner Manisha Juthani, MD, regarding the masking of all athletes regardless of their immunization status: https: //portal.ct. gov / DPH / Press-Room / Press-Releases- –202 … “(Facebook)
- New London Public Schools: “NLPS wishes everyone happy holidays and a happy new year! We look forward to seeing all of our students on January 3, 2022! #NLPS #SchoolsOut! #WinterBreak” (Facebook)
- United States Coast Guard Academy Alumni Association: “As the holiday season approaches, please note that our office will be closed on Friday December 24th and Friday December 31st for the holidays. If you would like to speak to someone in our office about your holiday gift ‘year, please call us durin … “(Facebook)
- New London Police Union: “Just a reminder of our event tonight. If you are interested in learning how to be a police officer in the City of New London stop by. We will be at 40 Truman St in New London, CT 06320 at our substation between 17 h and 6.30 p.m. … “(Facebook)
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum: “Join us in January for TWO new Events, Sheet Music and Flow Play conferences” on Saturday January 8 at 2:00 pm 👥 “Mary Way and Elizabeth Way Champlain: Fashioning Lives out of Art in the Early Republic” on Tuesday January 11 at from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Visit https: // … “(Facebook)
- Bear Club: “Thank you to all of the Bear Club donors whose support made this possible! “(Facebook)
- Call the man of the house: “I’m so excited for both of you. Once you complete the second floor, the value of the house will continue to rise. Hope you both enjoy this house! Https://rma.reviews/2ZrSm3keQPFg “(Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Hello everyone, the teenage department will be closed along with the rest of the library Friday through Sunday for the holidays. We hope to see you all today at the teen activity room for our weekly game!” (Facebook)
- Spark Makerspace: “Join us every Thursday at 6 p.m. for the electronics night at 7 Union Street… #Makerspace #sparkmakerspace #newlondonct #connecticut #CT #make #create #collaborate # 7union #electronics # 3dprint #coding” (Facebook)
- CB Jennings Primary School: “NLPS wishes everyone happy holidays and a happy new year! We look forward to seeing all of our students on January 3, 2022! #NLPS #SchoolsOut! #WinterBreak” (Facebook)
- Next door neighbor, Colman: “COVID vaccination clinic: first, second and booster doses of the Moderna vaccine available December 29 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the municipal building in Groton. – Call 860-448-4882 or register online at LLHD.org to make an appointment.” (The next door)
- Neighbor Ledge Light Health District: “COVID vaccine clinic: first, second and booster doses of the Moderna vaccine available on December 29 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the municipal building in Groton. Call 860 448-4882 or register online at LLHD.org to make an appointment. ” (Room)
More from our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
Do you like the New London Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
That’s all for today! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update.
– Chris rhatigan
About me: Chris Rhatigan is a freelance writer and editor.