London ball

Leyton Orient’s seven-game unbeaten streak ends at Oldham

29:46 March 29, 2022

On Tuesday, Leyton Orient saw their seven-game unbeaten streak against relegation-threatened Oldham at Boundary Park.

An own goal from George Ray gave the home side a first-half lead, with Callum Whelan adding a final second to pull the Latics out of the bottom two.

Head coach Richie Wellens has made five changes since Saturday’s 2-0 home win over Barrow – against his former club – with Theo Archibald among those to miss out after being suspended two games by the FA for his red card against Carlisle.

And the visitors struggled to find much rhythm in the first 10 minutes, with Oldham seeing plenty of ball.

Davis Keillor-Dunn took the lead from close range, after a cross from the left in the 11th minute, before Whelan dispossessed Ethan Coleman and saw a shot blocked by Omar Beckles.

Ruel Sotiriou sent a half-volley well over 25 yards, knocking down Harry Smith in the 18th minute, and Paul Smyth had his effort blocked by Carl Piergianni soon after.

Nicky Adams fired a straight shot at Lawrence Vigouroux just before the half-hour mark, with Sotiriou having penalty appeals overturned at the other end.

And Oldham opened the scoring in the 33rd minute when the ball was kicked into the box from the left and found the net through the header of the O Ray defender.

The visitors reacted well to going behind, keeping the ball well, but Vigouroux had to save Adams at his near post before the break.

Ray blocked a Christopher Missilou shot two minutes into the restart, before Smith knocked down Otis Khan’s cross but Frank Nouble couldn’t connect.

And Sotiriou came close for the equalizer in the 53rd minute as he was played on goal but saw his feeble effort hit around the post by Latics goalkeeper Danny Rogers.

Aaron Drinan replaced Nouble in Orient’s first substitution of the night, Oldham seeing Piergianni head a golden chance over the six-yard bar just before the hour mark.

Smyth then kicked the ball through the Oldham penalty area without finding an Orient shirt, before Darren Pratley substituted Coleman and the hosts shouted loudly for a disallowed penalty.

Jordan Brown came on for Smith on Orient’s third and final substitution, 21 minutes from time, and a foul on Pratley led to a free-kick in a decent position for the visitors, which went nowhere.

Pratley then joined Sotiriou and Hector Kyprianou in the referee’s book for bringing down Hallam Hope as Oldham looked to get off the field near the end of regulation time.

And in the last of five minutes of stoppage time, Vigouroux came on for an Orient corner and saw the hosts counter to add a second as Whelan rolled the ball into the unguarded net.

Wellens will be hoping his side can bounce back when they visit Walsall on Saturday.

Leyton Orient: Vigouroux, Wood, Smyth, Smith (Brown 70), Nouble (Drinan 56), Khan, Beckles, Sotiriou, Kyprianou, Coleman (Pratley 61), Ray. Unused submarines: Sargeant, Young, Ogie, Nkrumah.

Attendance: 4,619 (including 209 fans from the Orient).