London ball

Potton proves too good for London Colney

New Potton signing Finbar King in action against London Colney. Photo: Potton United FC.

Against league bottom Colney, who had changed managers midweek and signed several new players, Potton, who had made his debut under Finbar King himself, got off to a perfect start as he took the lead in the 5th minute .

However, after that Potton appeared to think the game was a win and, in reality, London Colney could have entered half-time with a 3-1 lead. The halftime conversation must have been strong words and Potton did a little better in the second half, scoring another goal to give them all three points.

In the fifth minute, Callum Wilson collected the ball and, unchallenged from 35 yards, his shot simply flew past the keeper to give Potton an early lead.

Shortly after, a David Etheridge free-kick went just wide of the post and Liam Andrews’ long shot went wide.

Then, for some reason, Colney got more into the game and Potton’s poor distribution didn’t help. Goalkeeper Judicael Mottaz made a poor clearance and Wilson did well to block the shot tied to Illori’s goal.

Mottaz saved from Milasiuis and Wilkinson had his shot blocked, then play became scrappy and several players were injured after being tackled which did not help the flow of the game.

Potton’s poor defense allowed Webb to fire over before Bronyan was set up to put the ball in the net, but was ruled offside.

Bronyan headed for a corner before Illori saw his shot blocked by Mottaz. The half-time whistle came with Potton holding a happy lead.

Early in the second half Potton grew more determined and Etheridge saw his shot go just past the post and a determined run from Cole Butler saw Etheridge see his shot blocked.

A quick break from Colney saw Kitoko shoot over the bar, but play by both teams was very poor with very little free-flowing football.

A free kick from Etheridge went over the bar and a shot from Jack Thomas was deflected for a corner. Andrews then had a back header and a shot that went wide of the post.

Potton replaced Dave Parkinson for the new King who hadn’t received very good service from the rest of the team.

The second goal finally came in the 83rd minute when Parkinson harassed a defender and won the ball and from the fast break played the ball to Butler whose low drive ended in the back of the net.

Shortly after, Parkinson won the ball and played it to Ibrahim Camara who shot over the bar as he was well placed and in the final minutes Parkinson saw a shot go over the bar and a free kick blocked by Colney’s defense.

The match therefore ended with Potton picking up three points from a game that will not be remembered for the quality of the football, but in the end it is a win that counts.

The first team visit local rivals Arlesey Town in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier League on Saturday with a 3pm start.

Then on Tuesday they visit Colney Heath in the Premier Division Cup, kick off at 7.45pm.