London ball

Quickfire double sends Daggers into FA Trophy

4:58 PM January 15, 2022

Dagenham & Redbridge booked their place in the Buildbase FA Trophy last 16 with a comfortable win over National League rivals Southend.
Two goals in the space of eight minutes in the second half sealed victory for Daryl McMahon’s men, now unbeaten in seven matches in all competitions.
McMahon made a change to the side that started at Torquay a week earlier, with Mauro Vilhete replacing Sam Ling, who scored twice in a 3-0 National League win over the Shrimpers in late October.
But Yoan Zouma picked up an early yellow card after just five minutes for a challenge on Matt Rush, with Josh Coulson seeing a firm header for Kevin Maher’s men cleared off the line by Joey Jones moments later.
Myles Weston cut inside on his left foot but had his shot blocked on nine minutes, with captain Angelo Balanta also denied on the edge of the box on the quarter hour mark.

Yoan Zouma attacks for Dagenham & Redbridge against Southend United
– Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Balanta was off target with another left-footed attempt in the 28th minute following a move down the Daggers’ right, while Steve Arnold equalized Vilhete’s far post header soon after.
The visitors saw Rush send a dangerous ball through the penalty area and out for a goal kick in the 35th minute, before Vilhete cut inside and his shot deflected past the post .
And good work from Mo Sagaf, Junior Morias and Walker created another chance for Vilhete but two Southend defenders combined to block as the first half ended scoreless.
Daggers had the first chance of the second half as Balanta played a fine ball over the Southend defense for Morias to rush in, but Arnold quickly left his line to clear the danger.
Morias had a deflected shot into the hands of Arnold moments later, before Elliot Justham was called into action to tip a Southend attempt over the crossbar in the 52nd minute and Will Wright asked Arnold to rush in with a ranged shot that flew wide of the mark shortly after. .
But Daggers broke the deadlock in the 56th minute as Sagaf – who had been on target when the two sides met in October – made a late run into the box to head home past Weston’s cross.

Mo Sagaf returns home for Dagenham & Redbridge against Southend United

Mo Sagaf returns home for Dagenham & Redbridge against Southend United
– Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Eight minutes later the home side doubled their lead with Weston choosing Morias to score.
Vilhete cut inside and beat two Southend players before pitting Arnold’s palms as Daggers went in search of more goals, with Jones making way for Dean Rance for the final 11 minutes.
And Walker then produced a driving run into the area that saw the ball break for Balanta, whose shot was deflected behind.
Walker made way for Ling on McMahon’s second substitution and the home side held on for seven minutes of stoppage time to secure their progress.
Dagenham: Justham, Wright, Reynolds, Zouma, Weston, Jones (Rance 79), Sagaf, Vilhete, Balanta, Morias, Walker (Ling 84). Unused substitutes: Lawlor, Johnson, Clark, Saunders, Akanbi.
Attendance: 2,585 (including 820 Southend fans).