Most people looking for a prime or prime new build apartment in central London will be looking for high end fixtures and fittings offered with popular amenities such as swimming pools, gyms, fitness area form and on-site cinemas or entertainment. And, of course, you should expect the legal package to include new build insurance and defect cover.
So what differentiates one main development from the other? We’ve outlined some of the new designs and features we’re seeing in the market below.
- High ceilings A recent development in central London features duplex apartments with ceilings over six metres. Since most new construction ceilings are around 2.7 meters, these apartments are particularly attractive if they are downsized from townhouses. The development offers a range of unique apartments, each with a different layout and if a certain apartment does not quite meet the requirements then it is possible to discuss with the developer making your own layouts. As the work from home continues, we understand that some developers are even happy to modify plans to include a bespoke “WFH” space in each apartment.
- Restore iconic buildings Advanced building techniques and technologies are used to keep listed buildings and features intact during the development of iconic buildings. For example, the original brick and steel dating back to the 1930s have been expertly fused with state-of-the-art appliances and inspired interiors. Spaces that may have had a completely different use historically, such as turbine halls and domes, are now featured in prime residential real estate.
- Retail and Leisure Developments with a commercial offer are also increasingly popular. We’ve heard that a development will include retail experiences with sports features included in some of the pre-leased spaces, including virtual reality games, crazy golf and high-intensity cycling. Parks, patios and community centers are also starting to be considered in some of the biggest new build developments. One development even has its own light festival and summer street party.
- Friendly and family Activities for children such as playrooms are also planned. It’s a great way for families to interact with each other at the pool table, ping pong table, and ball diamond for younger family members. Padel courts are also now available in some residences.
- Flexibility, storage and returns And finally, for those with very mobile lives, and an interesting concept is that in some developments you can include your apartment in the neighboring hotel’s inventory and split the profits. The concierge and hotel staff will store your belongings and prepare your apartment for their next guest, while placing your belongings where you left them ready for your return. It’s an interesting concept to get some feedback on the space you might not occupy all year round.
As our team visits (and admires) more of these top-notch, top-notch developments, it’s clear that providing buyers with a holistic experience focuses the minds of developers on how they can make their offerings stand out. stand out in a competitive market. We anticipate more innovation and creative thinking from developers to keep central London residential property at the forefront. At the same time, we recognize that the challenge for developers is how they can continue to create amazing deals while keeping rental bonuses and service fees competitive.